Kidney is a paired organ that is located in the posterior abdominal wall. The kidneys regulates the volume and composition of body fluids. It is also responsible for excretion of waste products of metabolism. The normal adult kidney is about 11–14cm in length and weighs about 130g.
Chronic kidney disease occurs when a disease condition impairs kidney functions causing a gradual kidney damage which worsens over months. It ranges from mild, moderate and then severe also known as End stage.
Causes of Kidney Disease
. Poorly controlled Hypertension
.Obstruction of the urinary tract from health conditions like kidney stones, enlarged prostrate and posterior urethral valves. .
. Uncontrolled Diabetes
. Inflamed Kidney Tubules and the surrounding structures.
. Abuse of drugs like Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Gentamicin and Declofenac.
. Excessive use of Alcohol, Smoking or Substance such as Cocaine and Heroin.
Signs And Symptoms of Kidney Disease
- Loss of Appetite
- Extreme Weakness
- Changes in the colour and quantity of urine
- Muscle Cramps
- Swelling of the Feet and Ankle
- Difficulty Sleeping
- Persistent itching
- Shortness of Breath
- Chest Pain
Effective Tips to Maintain a Healthy Kidney
- Avoid too much salt. Consuming too much salty foods can impair the balance of minerals in the blood and can greatly interfere with proper kidney functions.
- Eat more of Vegetables, Nuts and Fresh Fruits.
- Always Stay Hydrated. Water helps helps the kidney to expel toxins and waste products from the body.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight
- Do not Overuse Medications. Manage any medical condition with the help of your doctor
- Exercise daily.
- If you have Hypertension, diabetes or any family history of kidney disease, go for regular Medical checkup.